Friday, July 9, 2010

Santorini!

Hello again everyone!
I think now is as good as time as any for a little catch-up. My ferry ride to Santorini was pretty good, a little rocky, but such beautiful scenery. I arrived at the Hostel in the early evening. Had a nice night meeting some folks watching the World Cup. I have met a lot of people here from Australia and England. Yesterday I went on a great tour. We rode on an old Pirate ship. Our first stop was the islet of Nea Kameni, the Volcano. Its a sight of major scientific interest. It was quite spectacular learning the history of it.
We then jumped off the boat into these old Hot Springs near the volcano. That was very fun. We then stopped in the little port town called Thirass. Then the town of Oia where we had to walk up about 300 steps! You could have rode a donkey for five euros but I felt like it would be cruel to them. I looked around at the different artwork in the town and then saw a spectacular sunset at the top of an old church. Spent the night hanging out with some other travelers in the Hostel.
Now even though the tour was fun, it was very touristy. That's why today was so great.
Three of my new mates and I rented a car and drove around to different areas of the Island. First we went and checked out a beautiful lighthouse at the very southern tip of the island. Then hung out at White Beach and Red Beach which is just spectacular. We then went to this old little town called Pyrgos. It was amazing! I really feel like it was real Greece, not touristy at all. We had a delicious lunch at a little restaurant that was sort of hidden in the cliffs. Walking around that town was just incredible, its so peaceful there. I can see why some people would never want to leave.
The four of us then went to Santorini Winery. We went on a tour of it and then did the wine tasting. As I have never done that before, it was fabulous! Delicious local wine. We went and explored some other areas and found this super secluded beach that we hung out at a bit for a while.
We still have the car so I think later tonight we're going to go out into Fira. Its supposed to be beautiful there.
I have enjoyed exploring the local areas more then anything. Tomorrow I think I am going to rent a bike and have a look around some other areas.
I am going straight to Italy on Sunday morning.
I guess that's all for now, hope everyone of you are doing well.
Peace n Love

:)

1 comment:

  1. Shelby...it all sounds so wonderful.....can't wait to hear about some Italy adventures.....any ideas on where your heading?
    hope your worries are few.....enjoy

    ReplyDelete